Skip to content
Restarting allergy shots
bemommy posted:
My son (almost 7) is allergic to trees, grass, dogs, cats, mold, and dust. He has been on allergy shots for 3 years and has had incredible improvement. (off ALL allergy meds, no symptoms- a complete 180 from what he had been). He was doing so good that at his annual allergy appointment it was decided that he could stop with his shots! Yea! But, within 2 weeks all of his symptoms are back. Boo! So, I called the allergist to reorder the next vial of serum and she said we had to bring him in to be retested! Are you kidding me??? He is only 3 weeks past when he would have received his 6 week maintenance dose shot! Now they want to retest him before letting him start??? He is barely past his regular shot date! I'm furious. I'll be calling the office again tomorrow to see if they will reorder the serum. If we wouldn't have tried stopping, they would have let us order the new vial with no retesting. He would have still been 100% better and life would be normal. Now my little boy will need to get poked a hundred times again for retesting and we have to wait for the appointment, a new reorder, and all during this time he has to suffer with ridiculous allergy symptoms? Why can't we just restart our shots? I just want his allergies under control again (like they were 3 weeks ago when we were on the shots!) Am I being unreasonable??? Advice please.

coughy16 responded:
Ugh, I am so sorry to hear that. It is for that reason that I am afraid to go off the shots. I'm sorry I don't know that answer to the question about the retesting etc. Quick question though, your son was getting shots only every 6 weeks? Good luck to him, hopefully the dr will chime in on this one.

bemommy replied to coughy16's response:
Thanks, coughy16. I just got off the phone with the dr office. I was in tears. They will be calling me back after they talk to the dr. I told them I want to restart the shots and if they don't bring my son back to 100% THEN we'll retest and reformulate if necessary. I'm willing to do that! But, they have the answer right there. I KNOW this would make him better! We'll see what the doc says. I just feel so helpless. It's like they have the answer and are hanging it out on a string in front of me saying... not yet, pay more money, get more pokes, take more prescriptions in the meantime, then we'll give you the serum. They just won't give me what will cure him! I just want my son to breathe again! He was at 100% control 3 weeks ago on shots! Now, he's slilding back down a slippery slope. On all allergy meds and waking coughing in the night. I see asthma meds in our future too if we don't get these shots started ASAP! Thanks for your kind response. I, too, hope a dr. will weigh in here.

bemommy replied to coughy16's response:
And yes, only 6 weeks. Once he reached maintenance he could do 6 weeks. He had been at 6 weeks for over a year.

coughy16 replied to bemommy's response:
Wow, that's nice. Where I go the longest between shots is 4 weeks, I would love to wait longer!

Aqua14 replied to coughy16's response:
I agree with you Sue, 4 weeks between shots is my target timeframe, too. (I'm in year 4 of my shots.) I get nagged by the allergy shot nurse if I go over 4 weeks. I don't think I've ever gone 6 weeks between shots.

Maybe a suggestion that the OP can make to the allergist is whether they can back down the shot serum dosage somewhat rather than start all over again from square one. That's what I would be strongly advocating for as it would seem to have fewer risks.

Hopefully Dr. Metz will weigh in and give us a sense of what standard allergist practice on this might be, if any, or at least his standard practice.

Hope these few thoughts help. This must be very frustrating for the OP; I'd be upset, too. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

bemommy replied to Aqua14's response:
Thanks, folks. I did get word today that the allergist gave us the green light to restart the shots without having to retest! Yea! We will have to do a little bit of build up, but we're not starting over by any means. But, we are only about 3 weeks beyond his scheduled shot date. So, we shouldn't have a ton of time to build back up. They said we are close enough to "on schedule" that we could order the same formulation and everything! I'm so excited! I've been praying about this and it's working out! Praise the Lord!

Aqua14 replied to bemommy's response:
That's so great! I'm happy for you and your son. Hopefully things will go smoothly from now on. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center