Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Stopping allergy shots
coughy16 posted:
The other poster got me thinking about this again. What does an allergist look at when deciding whether to recommend to a patient that they can stop allergy shots? Has anyone here been recommended to try it? If so, did you & what happened? What are the odds that your symptoms will return? I think that I have been on them long enough to consider stopping, but am scared to death of losing my asthma control. Any experiences? Any advice from the doctor? I have an appt with my allergist next week & am thinking about discussing this.

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD responded:
Every patient's situation is different, but I typically treat patients with allergy shots for 3 to 5 years and then reassess. Many patients can then sucessfully come off shots. You should discuss this with your allergist next week.

coughy16 replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
Thank you for your reply. When you say that you reassess, what types of things do you take into consideration? The patients symptoms (or lack thereof) when exposed to allergens? Do you re-test to determine if they show less allergy? Is there any way to guess whether a patient is likely to get symptoms back? On one hand I would love to stop, but on the other hand I dread going back to out of control asthma much of the time if I relapse. I had such a hard hard time getting up to maintenance & would hate going thru that again if I had to start over. But on the other hand, I have mainly been doing well since the shots began to take effect. I do plan on talking with her about this, but would value hearing what factors you consider when making a recommendation about this to patients.

thank you1

bemommy responded:
Hey coughy16,

I'm guessing your talking about my post. I got word today that our allergist has given the green light to restart shots! No retesting necessary! YEA! My son was at 3 years of shots, but we got to maintenance really quick, so we were comfortable trying to stop at the early end of things. Apparently, symptoms came back, so we stopped too soon. We'll start up again and this should give him control again. We knew within a week or two that coming off shots was a bad idea. It hit that fast. So, hopefully, if you try stopping you'll know quickly if you should have or not. Good luck with your decision.

coughy16 replied to bemommy's response:
I am so happy that you posted this!!! I was wondering what had happened, that it great news, hope your son is feeling good very soon!

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center