Skip to content
Beer Allergy?----Yeast?
dentalbart posted:
I have been trying to figure out what I am allergic to. My skin gets really itchy, pins and needles ,burning, and is relieved with loratadine. Last night I had to take two for it to get better.
After doing some online research, I am thinking that I might be allergic to brewer's yeast. I think my reactions are occuring with american micro brews, so far, with ales, I don't recall having this problem with german lagers. If it is beer, it seems to happen within about 1-2 hours , after one beer, or even less. I don't know, certain breads? Bagels? I thought I may have had a similar reaction with bagels, I don't know.

Aqua14 responded:
Beer and wine (particularly darker beers and red wines) contain histamine which is produced in the brewing process. Histamine, as you may know, is one of the "allergy chemicals" responsible for causing itching, sneezing, runny nose, etc. An American microbrewed ale would tend to contain more histamine than a light German lager. Here's a link to an abstract of a study on the concentration of histamine in beers and wines: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8005453

If in fact your reaction is due to ingesting histamine in beer, then as you found it could be relieved with an antihistamine -- although one should always be careful when using antihistamines and drinking alcohol, because antihistamines can amplify the effects of alcohol, making one drunker, quicker. It's important to point out that this type of reaction doesn't mean that you have an allergy, but is simply your body's reaction to the histamine in the beer.

Rather than guessing what you are allergic to, why not visit an allergist and get an expert's opinion? A person can have itchy skin in response to inhaled allergens such as dust, mold, cat dander, etc. An allergist can solve your mystery by testing you.

Hope this helps you. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center