Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
wheat allergy
slpotts posted:
my 3 yr old that has a coconut and coconut oil allergy we just found out that now we have a wheat allergy. everything we eat has wheat what do u feed a child that is already a picky eater without wheat or pasta. his school doesnt know if they have a meal plan that coincides with proper nutrition. thats another thing how do u give good nutrition.

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD responded:
Sorry to hear about your child's allergies. I would recommend that he see an allergist if he has not already to confirm the diagnosis. For patients with numerous food allergies, the assistance of a nutritionist is often needed.

slpotts replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
We seen an allergist that is how we found out that it was wheat as well as everything else. We are meeting with a dietician next week. There isnt much help out there with the cost of the new expensive food.

deluxehd replied to slpotts's response:
Hello slpotts,

I'm sorry to hear about your son's wheat allergy. It can be challenging in more than one way. As you mentioned, the cost. And the time it takes to read all the labels. The dietician should be able to help quite a bit. Depends how severe his allergy is, make sure to check labels about facility processing. Some products listed as gluten-free may still be manufactured in a facilty that processes foods containing coconut. Research from reliable sources will provide a lot of information. I use a product called Chebe Bread that is absolutely great! YOu can buy the mix and make yourself or it is frozen and ready to bake. Other products you may want to try: corn pasta, quinoa grain and pasta.

Please keep us updated and feel free to ask questions.\Best of luck and take care.
Debbie

andya61 responded:
I think quinoa should be another option. there's a new presentation that is a powder you can add it their meals I don't think is in the us now but you can check here http://bit.ly/16z2Xd5

rapinks responded:
Sorry to hear about your 3 yr old. I too have a sever wheat allergy. Reading lables is something I have learned to get used too. I used oatmeal to replace wheat for the first six months. I would put the oatmeal in the blender or food processor and get it as close to flour as possible. My sister found Pamela's brand of flour, no wheat or coconut flour used on Amazon, that has made a huge diffrence. There are more and more options for pastas in local grocery stores. However I get most of mine from a local health food store. Whoever eats in my house gets the wheat free food and so far no one has complained. It is much harder for a child than an adult to adjust. Good luck! And when reading labels, making sure the food is not processed in a plant that processes wheat or coconut is very important, at least for me.

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center