Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pet allergy
ryanandleigh posted:
DD (age 2) has really bad eczema especially on her feet. It is so bad that she scratches until she bleeds. We took her to the allergist and the blood work shows she is allergic to cats (we have 3). His solution was to get rid of them. That is the my LAST possible option. I am looking for products to use or things to try see if we can control her allergic reaction. (She is too young for allergy shots.) Anyone with tips, products, websites or any other help would be very appreciated!

sgbl88 responded:
Hi and welcome to the community.

While I understand your attachment to the cats, I think in this case it would be best to at least reduce the number of cats in the home by two. Cat dander is the hardest to control where it goes. It tends to be a smaller particulate than other allergens, say dog dander, and therefore tends to be air born more. Of course you can take to dusting and vacuuming daily at a minimum, and running an air purification system and having air ducts cleaned regularly.

Also, cats go EVERYWHERE. It is very hard to control where cats go in your home and therefore where exposure is likely/less likely to occur. If would help if the cats were at least kept out of her bedroom.

You could also discus medication options with the allergist. Antihistamines can be helpful.

Good luck with making this tough decision.

Sonya
Sonya http://exchanges.webmd.com/fragrance-and-odor-issues http://exchanges.webmd.com/pediatric-asthma-parent-support http://exchanges.webmd.com/politics-and-health-debate-exchange

coughy16 responded:
If it were me, it would be a no brainer to decide between my daughter's health & the cats. It sounds like she is really miserable & that you have no other options at this time if you want her to get better.

ryanandleigh replied to coughy16's response:
Well I am sorry to say, I don't think it is a no brainer. These cats are part of the family and I will not get rid of them without at least trying to see if I can find a way to keep them and keep my daughter happy. There are OPTIONS out there as I have spent all evening researching them. It may cost some to implement them all but DD and DS love these animals and would be heart broken if we have to get rid of them - so would DH and I. Thanks for your no help.

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD replied to ryanandleigh's response:
The main goal is to reduce exposure to the cat allergen. One idea to try is keeping the cats out of the child's bedroom at all times (keep the cats out during day and night).

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center