Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Eye allergy?
An_190855 posted:
I'm 16 years old and last winter I gradually started noticing redness and irritation under my eyes. There was some dry skin under my eyes as well and it was painful to the touch. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of it. At first, I tried moisturizer, the kind i would normally use on my hands. That only seemed to irritate it more. Eventually I developed a sty. I went to the doctor and she gave me a prescription to get rid of the sty but didn't really have a solution for my under-eye irritation. The medicine didn't even work to get rid of the sty. I started using a hot towel to try to drain it and it seemed to help. My sty went away but the irritation did not. It persisted all winter and then finally went away on its own.

Now, as winter approaches, I'm noticing that the symptoms are returning. I'm wondering, could these symptoms be triggered by something in the air at this time of year? The skin on my hands also gets very dry at this time of year, despite the fact that I do use moisturizer. Could this be related? I do know that I'm allergic to dust, is that at all relevant? If any doctor has some answers for me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

ryanandleigh responded:
I don't know if it is an allergy or not but I use to have my eyelids get really read and dry and the skin would start to flake. It happened every winter when I lived in a dry climate. Most moisturizers would sting so I ended up buying an eye cream from Nutragenia (sp?) that finally cleared it up and didn't cause irritation. Now that I live in a more humid place, I haven't had any problem.

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD responded:
Sorry to hear about your eye irritation. Do you have other allergy symptoms such as runny nose or sneezing? Do you also have eczema? For dry, irritated skin around the eye, I recommend using only gentle cleansers and hydration with a non-scented moisturizer. You could try putting a small amount of vaseline on the skin before bed to see if that helps.

emasauraus replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
I do sneeze a lot, but I'm allergic to dust so I just assumed that was the cause. I didn't think they could be related. Could they? And I don't have eczema. Thank you so much for your help!

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center