Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Allergy related cough
nannieg50 posted:
I have had a chronic cough for several months, which my primary doctor thinks is allergy related and told me to take an OTC medication like Zyrtec or Claritin to help control it. I tried it for a few months, and it doesn't really help. Do I need to see an allergy specialist or can I try anything else?
coughy16 responded:
Did you let your dr know that it didn't help? If the dr thinks it's from allergies, it might be a good idea to find an allergist & get tested. Do any others in your family have allergies?
sgbl88 responded:
Several thoughts,
It might not be allergies. Your doctor should consider the possibility of acid reflux. Laryngeal-pharyngeal reflux can cause PND and chronic cough.

It could be allergies, and you need an allergist, or Zyrtec isn't the right oral antihistamine for you. You might want to try Allegra. Also, an antihistamine nasal spray like Patanase or Astepro might be helpful for you.

I don't know how doctors do it, but they can tell when something is allergies and when it isn't. I have no idea how they can diagnose someone with allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, but they do. They see something to differentiate allergy related symptoms from other causes.

Feel better.

Gregory M Metz, MD responded:
I hope your cough is doing better. Some common causes of cough include nasal allergy with post nasal drip, acid reflux and asthma. Do you have nasal congestion, sneezing and drip? I agree that a trial of antihistamines is helpful. You can consider adding on a sinus rinse and talk to your doctor about a nasal steroid spray to help decrease the drainage. Do you experience any heartburn symptoms. Do you feel short of breath? I would let your doctor know if you have persistant cough as additional therapies or investigations may be warrented.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center