Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Eye allergies
Eagle111 posted:
Ever since I moved into my house my eyes constantly itch and EVERY single night they discharge and when I wake up they are dried shut. I can't even open them until I clean my eyelids and get the dried up discharge off. Any help?

DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD responded:
Sometimes irritation from paint fumes or new carpet can irritate the nose and eyes. You can try warm compresses to the eyes, antihistamine or over the counter allergy eye drops. Usually this gets better. If these don't help or you develop pain in the eye or vision changes, you should see an eye doctor to have an eye exam to make sure there is not an infection or other problem.

Eagle111 replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
Thanks! My nose also runs a lot too. I think it has to do with the previous owners having dogs because it took us forever to get the dog fumes smell out of the house. I do get random sharp pains in my eyes as well. The last like 5 secs but its a very sharp pain. Ill make an appointment. Thanks again!

Supermac replied to Eagle111's response:
Eagle111... I may be able to help, I had a very similar problem/s for years and vastly improved my situation by bathing my eyes with Betadine (used for eye operations!). Also I have read that we can have a mite living in our eyelash folicals which can cause reations in some people but not in others. Also check out the following condition it may help explain what you may have...Recurrent Erosion Syndrome (RES). Good luck my friend!

Helpful Tips

regain you taste and smell
I lost my sense of taste and smell 4 years ago and have had multiple operations as well as daily flushed my nose with Pulmacort . My doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center