Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Shellfish
avatar
ejp1231 posted:
I am 35 on Dec 31 and I never had a reaction to shellfish until I was 18. I used to eat all kinds all the time and I mean alot. I ended up in the ER with an anaphaylactic reaction to the shrimp that I had eaten. I am wondering if I will have this for life. The doctor then told me that the bodies ions repolarize every 7 years and that it may go away. Is that even true? I can eat other kinds of seafood like fish and calimari but no shrimp. I have not tried lobster or crab since then either due to fear that I may end up in the ER or dead.
Reply
 
avatar
DUKE MEDICINE
Gregory M Metz, MD responded:
Shellfish allergy typically does not go away. There is extensive cross reactivity between all shellfish. An allergist can help sort this out and can provide dietary recommendations. If you are still shrimp allergic, I would recommend that you have an epi pen in case of accidental ingestion.
 
avatar
ejp1231 replied to Gregory M Metz, MD's response:
That was pretty much what I thought. Thanks for the input.


Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center