Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to Coconut Allergies
floydmariner posted:
I have recently become severly allergic to Coconuts and other nuts.. I have long since eliminated all nuts from my diet, but I keep getting Moderate to Severe reactions including facial, hand and feet swelling difficulty breathing and numbness from Coconut OIls in my Soap, Shampoo, and laundry detergent... It is very expensive to see an allergist who wont see me without a payment, and I have no insurance. Where can I go for advice advice on eliminating all coconut based oils from my soaps, shampoos, detergent, cleaning chemicals? The allergic reactions are becoming quite a nuisance, and the emergency room visits, are ruining my credit. thank you for any advice.

mrswhitecastle responded:
Do you have a prescription for an EpiPen? Can your primary doctor help you? Are you allergic to peanuts as well?

I would buy detergent that is fragrence and dye free. Read the labels of all soaps and shampoos. You should also watch out for lotions that contain shea butter, as it's derived from tree nuts.

I can't help much with the coconut allergy. These links, though, have been helpful to me in avoiding tree nuts. The 2nd link talks more about peanuts, but is still worth looking through, IMO.

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=64

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=46

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center