Skip to content
Egg, milk, soy, tree nut allergies in one family, does anyone have any ideas on what I can cook so I don't make several meals??!!!
candtsmom posted:
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this. My husband has several food allergies including soy, tree nuts and lobster. My 3 year old is allergic to egg and my 1 year old is allergic to milk. (for my youngest they said to avoid all milk products and they will do more testing when she gets a little older to find out if it's one specific part of the milk.)
The second problem I have is i'm not a very good cook, not creative in any way and truely hate to cook. This makes life around here pretty rough, to say the least. I worked it out ok before my youngest got old enough to eat "real" food. but all of the substitutes I can find for milk in cooking are soy based which they hubby can't eat. If anyone has any recipies or tips or resources I would really appreciate it! thank you!

mrswhitecastle responded:
You may want to also post this on the Food Allergy Families board. There may be someone there that can help. I'm sorry I can't help, I'm only dealing with tree nut allergies.

ryanandleigh responded:
For the milk allergies, there are several things that aren't soy based. Have you tried coconut milk? Purely Decadent makes a line of coconut yogurts, ice creams and milks that are good. Also there is Earth Balance which is a "butter" substitute. Cheese would be the hardest thing. You can do to godairyfree.com for other substitutes suggestions. Since soy is in a lot of processed foods, I would think you would need to look at making your own marinades and sauces from scratch. I would try to keep meals simple - the fewer ingredients the better. Meals like spaghetti, chicken fingers (use a milk substitute to stick the breading on instead of egg), tacos, and chili should be simple to keep all allergens out. Pasta dishes (if you like pasta) should be easy. Since my daughter can't have cheese, I have also made a casserole and taken out her serving before baking the whole with cheese. It worked out well.

candtsmom replied to mrswhitecastle's response:
thanks I will try to find the board. I am not ver good at navigating these sites. lol

candtsmom replied to ryanandleigh's response:
Thanks very much. I didn't know about the coconut milk.

allergymom3 responded:
It's hard to make something that everyone can eat. My kids like rice milk and rice cheese. (You can substitute rice milk for regular milk when cooking. However, if you try to use it for something like instant pudding it stays really liquidy.). You can make a great homemade pizza with rice mozzerella cheese and veggie toppings. (we use gluten free crust as well). We also use the enrgy egg substitute which works great for cooking and baking. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center