Skip to content
Sinus issues at work
jwc6160 posted:
I travel for work and when I am at my home office I have terrible sinus issues. The moment I step in the office, my face gets hot, and I develop pressure in my forehead and nose. The swelling is further back in my nose. I don't have a lot of drainage, but after a while my ears start to hurt. Also, after a few days, my skin breaks out a little on my face due to it being hot and getting oily. After a day or so, I start getting worn down. I start to feel better at home and if I am away for a longer period I am usually fine. I have been to several ENT's. I have had surgery to correct some sinus problems that were deemed successful. I have been allergy tested (skin and blood) and was told I had minimal allergies. I have tried pretty much every OTC medication and I use a sinus rinse daily. I work in a new building in a downtown area. I have brought it up many times and a few other people in my office have similar (not as bad) symptoms. They have conducted an air quality test and it came back "normal" not sure what they tested for. I have researched sick building syndrome and my symptoms are similar. I am really looking for some advice on how I can minimize my symptoms. My doc has almost given up. My sinus issues were corrected with surgery and I am not allergic to anything, so she says she really has no idea why I feel so bad at my office. Thanks for any help

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

Have you tried Astepro or Patanase? What about a nasla steroid spray like Nasonex, Omnaris, Verimyst... Also, ipatropium bromate (Atrovent) might help as well as NasalCrom. NasalCrom is an OTC.

You realy need to figure out what is triggering the symptoms. It sounds like a mold allergy, not one they would test for as being toxic, but one you are allergic too. Does the building have an atrium area with live plants? The dirt in those things harbors all kinds of mold. House plants are great for cleaning the air, but horrible if you have mold allergies.

Another thought, you may want to talk to your doctor about trying a Pulmacort (generic is fine) sinus rinse if you have tried a nasal steroid. Do a normal sinus rinse, then you mix one ampule of Pulmacort into 2 oz normal saline and use like a sinus rinse. It seems to be helping me some with my nasal symptoms.

Just a few thoughts. I hope that you find some answers soon.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

NPSchwartz responded:
Perhaps moisturizing your nasal passages will help? Try Dr. Neuzil's Irrigator, a new a saline based nasal cleansing spray with essential oils. The essential oils help leave you refreshed while moisturizing your nose. I just took a cross country flight and used the spray before and after. It helped relieve any pressure and by moisturizing my sinus passages, I felt more comfortable. You'll find it at www.IrrigatorNasalSpray.com

jwc6160 replied to sgbl88's response:
I have tried most of that (not Pulmacort). They removed plants from the office. The nasal sprays do little. The air test was very extensive (I am lucky to work for a company that actually tried to figure it out). They had several machines and tested for molds, bugs, etc. My wife is convinced it is stress, but I just don't have much stress and when I do, it is when I am working away from the office.

Thanks for the info

sgbl88 replied to jwc6160's response:
You are welcome.

It could be a fragrance sensitivity. Fragrances can cause all kinds of symptoms including an stuffy, runny nose. If the things I mentioned earlier don't help, there isn't much else you can do (except avoid the source of the fragrance). Since you company is open minded, maybe they would consider changing the air freshners used in restrooms.

Just a few more thoughts.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center