Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
food allergies
airman91 posted:
Me and my wife were told my son is allergic to milk by some blood work he had. I had thought that could only be spotted by prick test. He has never shown any signs beside he has been diagnosed with asthema. Should I have the prick test done or take him off all dairy.

sgbl88 responded:
Welcome to the community.

Blood RAST is another type of allergy testing. Many of us have found it to be inaccurate with lots of false negatives. However, he is probably allergic to milk, and it could be triggering his asthma. It would be worth taking him off milk for a while to see if his asthma symptoms improve.

Take care and God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

grannymusiclover replied to sgbl88's response:
Hi! I'm new here. I've been searching websites for hours looking for info on false allergy test results. Did I hear you right? Did you say "false negative" results from blood testing? Every site mentions false positives, but never the opposite. I was just tested, a blood allergy panel for foods-I think, and was told that everything was negative. Well, I've been treated since childhood for chronic nasal and digestive symptoms. The digestive ones may indeed be due to intolerances or insensitivities, but my runny, stuffy, sneezy, nose and my constant cough, etc., have got to be something! When the pollen count is high, especially in the spring, summer, and fall, I go crazy. When I eat anything dairy, I do not have lactose intolerance symptoms. I get an immediate respiratory reaction. This happens almost daily to one thing or another. So, what can I do? My doctor thinks test results are "written in stone" and doesn't pay any attention to what I have to say. How can I get some kind of treatment? Are there any articles written on false negative results. Please respond, somebody! I need help!

Thanks, grannymusiclover

mrswhitecastle replied to grannymusiclover's response:
My daughter had a false negative blood test. She actually experienced anaphylaxis due to tree nuts. A few days later, the blood test was negative. Obviously, it was not correct. The skin prick test was positive. Our allergist did say that there are certain things that can affect test results.

I suggest you see an allergist. He/she will likely want to see the results of the blood test and do a skin prick test.

Aqua14 replied to grannymusiclover's response:
Simply go to another allergist for a second opinion and second round of allergy tests. Many of us have suffered needlessly due to a bad doctor and once we found a good doctor, our quality of life improved tremendously. Count me in that category with a horrible first allergist.

Since allergy is diagnosed by taking the patient's history (listening to what the patient has to say) plus interpreting the objective tests, your doctor has essentially missed the diagnosis by ignoring your observations about your reactions.

For inhalant allergies, skin prick plus intradermal allergy tests are the gold standard. Intradermals involve injection with a fine needle of a tiny amount of allergen under the skin. Typically if the skin prick tests are negative but the allergist still strongly suggests allergy, the intradermals are done. Both skin prick and intradermals are much more sensitive and specific than allergy blood tests, and results appear within 15-20 minutes.

The gold standard for food allergy is called the double-blind, placebo-controlled food challenge -- basically neither doctor nor patient know what the patient is eating (it's a little bit of the food in a gelatin capsule) and it is done under controlled conditions because of the chances of anaphylactic life-threatening reaction. I get the impression that it isn't commonly done.

Hope this info helps you out, and I hope that one of your friends, acquaintances or family members can refer you to a good allergist who will listen to what you have to say. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

ryanandleigh responded:
The allergist I took my daughter to wouldn't do a prick test on her at the age of 2 - not to mention she has no clear skin to do a test on. They did the RAST blood test and she came back allergic to pretty much everything. It really isn't a positive or negative test. It ranks how much IgE antibodies are in the blood. A high number does not mean you are definitely allergic to it and even after you outgrow an allergy you can still show high levers of IgE. I would recommend taking your son of dairy and see how he does. We took my daughter off dairy and noticed an immediate improvement in her condition though with all her other allergies we haven't progressed as far as we need to.

Helpful Tips

It helps me sleep
I been getting really bad hives for abot 3 months now, I have no idea why I would be getting hives I been very healthy my whole life, but ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center