Skip to content
Doctors...
Indiaguerita posted:
My six year old son has Asthma. I would consider it to be severe. The asthma apparently arose from complications of having RSV as a baby.

He had a skin test when he was about three. According to the allergist who tested him, he is allergic to:

-Fish
-Eggs
-Chocolate
-Beef
-Mold
-Nuts

He is currently on the following medications:

-Cingulair
-Claritin
-Albuterol inhaler
-Albuterol nebulizer (as needed)
-Emergency inhaler (as needed) - I believe it's called Proventil.
-Last month did a round of Prednisone.

My question is this. Ethan coughs all night long and all day long. He has dark rings around his eyes. He coughs so hard during the night that he vomits. It is a very dry, hacking cough. There does not seem to be any mucous.

He is on four medications and uses the emergency inhaler at least once at night. The allergist told us that if he was medicated properly, he could eat a small portion of the foods that he is allergic to.

Is this true? Or are the foods causing him this asthmatic misery?

He's miserable. He's tired. And he's coughing all night and all day. (Two days ago he threw up in his classroom because he was coughing so hard.)

Thank you for any input or advice you have for me. I appreciate your time. And sorry for the length of the post...I wanted things to be clear as far medications and whatnot.

-Laura

mrswhitecastle responded:
I'm not a doctor, but I hope you don't mind me replying.

Is your son currently eating any of the foods he is allergic to?

If so, I would remove them all from his diet and see if his symptoms improve.

ryanandleigh responded:
I agree with the other poster, I would remove any of the allergic foods from his diet and see if he improves. Do this for at least 2 weeks.

I will say that when my daughter was diagnosed with food allergies, the allergist told us we could feed her the items she was allergic to as long as she ate them EVERY DAY. (This is the same theory as allergy shots.) This didn't work for us. She continued to have problems until we eliminated the foods.

If he doesn't improve with avoiding the foods, I would certainly take him back to the doctor to see if you can find something that will help him sleep at night.

coughy16 responded:
Hi Laura, sounds like his asthma is out of control with all the coughing. You say he has albuterol inhaler, albuterol neb & proventil? These are all rescue meds. You don't mention any steroid inhalers? It really sounds like he needs a tweak of his meds, to include maintenance meds. Who is currently treating his asthma/allergies? If he is not being treated by an allergist or pulmo, I would recommend trying that.

Indiaguerita responded:
Thank you for everyone's response. I will have to get a diet prepared for him. His allergy foods are extensive...it pretty much eliminates all the foods he is currently eating.

He is not being treated by a pulonologist...just a regular pediatrician. She formed an Asthma Action plan for him...twice...but nothing is helping with the coughing.

I will take the suggestions you all have given and give it a shot. If he's not better after removing all of the foods, I am going to ask for a referral to a pulmonologist.

Thanks again!

-Laura

Indiaguerita replied to coughy16's response:
I don't think either of the inhalers are steroids. One of the inhalers is albuterol for maintainance. And the other inhaler is Proventil...for emergency use. He also uses a nebulizer daily...with Albuterol.

He did take steroids a month ago...orally. It helped immensely. But this was his second round in six months and the pediatrician says that we have to space out his use of steroids because of the side effects.

-Laura

mrswhitecastle replied to Indiaguerita's response:
There is a Food Allergies Families board that may be helpful to you while you are eliminating foods.

From the list you posted, I would think eggs would be the hardest to eliminate. You may find help on that board with good substitutes. If anything, I know you can get some support while you are doing the elimination diet.

HTH!

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center