Skip to content
spitting up lots of clear mucus al day
Terlo posted:
Hi,
I spit up lots and lots of clear mucus every day usually during coughing fits but sometimes without coughing . Does anyone have any experience with this.?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Terlo,

Welcome to the community. I have not experienced this constant mucus before. Has this been going on for your entire life or is this a recent concern? Do you tend to have chronic sinus problems and/or suffer with allergies? Any other illnesses?

Here is a WebMD Overview on Mucus that may provide you with more information, until we here back from you. Take care and keep us posted!
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

Terlo replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Amelia,
I just got prednisone from the doctor. It is the last resort but always knocks out the spitting up mucus all day. They think it is an allery . This has been going on since 1993. Thank you for your concern. I don't have any other illnesses. Terlo

sgbl88 replied to Terlo's response:
Hi, so sorry to be late getting to respond to you.

What have you tried to control allergies? There are many options.

1. Sinus rinses are very effective. Do them twice a day and when coming in from time out doors.
  2. Shower at night to wash allergens off so you are not sleeping with them.
  3. Wash bedding in HOT water weekly.
  4. Keep windows and doors shut.
  5. Keep pets out of your bedroom.
Those are several of the many life style changes you can make.

What medications have you tried. Most of us in the community prefer Zyrtec as it is more effective than Claritin and generally causes less drowsiness than any other OTC antihistamine. Have you tried any nasal sprays? There are two types. The nasal steroid spray reduces nasal inflamation and there reduces drainage. Nasal antihistamine sprays work to reduce the reaction to allergens.

Lastly, has your doctor evaluated you for reflux. Reflux can cause the same symptoms as allergies.

I hope some of these ideas help you.

Take care and God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to Terlo's response:
Hi Terlo,

I hope that the prednisone helps! As the WebMD Overview on Mucus discusses, "It generally takes a bad cold, allergy, or contact with something irritating -- like a plate of nuclear-hot Buffalo wings -- to throw your body's mucus production into overdrive."

It might be a good idea to start a diary and record each experience when the mucus build up seems the worst. You could make note of: What time of day it is? Where you are? Things in the environment that could be irritating your allergies? Food/drinks that you have consumed? Hopefully, you can find any triggers that may be causing your reaction. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you keep us posted on how things go! Take care of yourself.
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center