Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How often should children be allergy tested?
An_190932 posted:
I have a neice that is going to be tested for the second time by her mother, and I am trying to find out if this is normal or too soon? her first skin testing was done at age 4, 5 years ago.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi and Welcome to the community.

How old is your niece? Does she have significant allergy problems?

Personally, I would say it isn't too soon. My allergist has a standing policy of testing every 2 years. That is her norm for adult and pediatric patients.

Please keep us updated on her.

Take care and God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

mrswhitecastle responded:
Did she test positive for any allergies? If so, I'm actually surprised that she hasn't had repeated sooner. Allergies can change a lot -- new ones can develop, old ones can go away, and the severity can change.

My daughter was skin tested at age 3, a year later at age 4, and will be again at age 6. I think the frequency depends on the child, and what they are allergic to.

HTH!

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center