Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I accidentally took 20mg of Loratadine
avatar
An_190959 posted:
I took 20mg of loratadine within 8 hours of each other and I was just wondering if/when I can sleep. I feel tired & have a headache because I was on my way to bed before I took the drug. I took the last one at 12 25 am & it has almost been two hours. I felt nauseas before but it went away. I drank a lot of fluids although I'm not sure if that helps. I don't think I can die from this, but am just wondering if it's safe to sleep.
Reply
 
avatar
sgbl88 responded:
Hello, the best thing to do in this type of situation is to call poison control or you pharmacist. As you can see it can be a long time before someone reads your post and responds to it.

That being said, antihistamines are varily benign. Many people take way more than the bottle says a day under doctor's orders. I won't tell you how many loratadines I used to take a day. I now take two Zyrtec a day. Antihistamines can be somewhat dehydrating, so drink extra water. If you were to take extra every day, you would want to eat extra fiber as well.

You will be fine. I would suspect that your symptoms were more from the worry of possible overdose than any actual reaction to the medication. Yes, it is safe to sleep.

Take care and God bless.

Happy Fourth of July
Happy birthday US of A!!
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]
 
avatar
Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Just checking to see how you are doing, Anon!

Please let us know when you get a chance.

Best wishes!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous
 
avatar
Miss3773 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hey it's me. Sorry I couldn't get on for a few days. Something's wrong with my account so I had to make a new one.

So basically like sgbl88 said, I think my symptoms were caused more from worrying about a potential overdose. I had had a headache prior & was a little tired, then after I had accidentally taken the second pill was when my headache got worse and I started to feel nauseas. I drank some fluids and basically waited it out for about an hour until my symptoms began to subside, and then waited another hour and a bit before heading off to bed. I am fine & hopefully won't make the same mistake again.

I have never "overdosed" on anything before so I didn't know that calling poison control is generally your best option, but I do now. I would like to thank you both for the information you provided as well as your concern. Everything is fine now


Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center