Skip to content
Allergy Medication
LearningaboutAllergies posted:
Should allergy medication be taking if a person has allergies but has no signs or symptoms.

Aqua14 responded:
It's not really clear what you're getting at here.

If you have been diagnosed as having allergies, and a physician has prescribed allergy medication, then the meds should be taken per the doctor's orders.

There are some allergy meds that work better to prevent allergic symptoms if they are taken daily (regardless if you're having symptoms), and some take weeks to reach full effect. Some allergy meds have beneficial long-term anti-inflammatory effects which you wouldn't receive if you just took them on and off with no regularity.

If you can provide further details, I may have more thoughts. Hope these thoughts help in the meantime. Take care & god luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

LearningaboutAllergies replied to Aqua14's response:
I was diagnosed with allergies in May of this year. The doctor prescribed me an over the counter allergy medicine.

Aqua14 replied to LearningaboutAllergies's response:
What allergies were you found to have, what OTC allergy medicine was recommended, how often and when did the doctor tell you to take it?
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

LearningaboutAllergies replied to Aqua14's response:
He diagnosed me with Seasonal Allergies and told me to take a Walmart or local pharmacy brand of allergy medicine for 30 days and then not take it for 3 or 4 days.

Aqua14 replied to LearningaboutAllergies's response:
Sounds like you were diagnosed by your primary care physician. An allergist who did allergy skin tests would tell you specifically what you were allergic to (i.e., trees in spring, grass in summer, ragweed in fall, etc.) and would likely prescribe some allergy meds for you, although some of the OTC allergy meds (particularly Zyrtec) are just as good as the prescription meds.

If your allergies are only seasonal, then it makes sense that you'd only take allergy meds during your allergy season. I've never heard of taking allergy meds for 30 days and then not taking it for 3-4 days. Did your doctor tell you why he recommended that? Seems odd.

I guess the real question you need to ask yourself is, am I getting enough relief with using OTC allergy meds? If you are, then fine. If not, then visit an allergist for more tailored advice and medications.

Oh, and a long-term treatment for allergies is allergy shots (immunotherapy). They can work quite well. I'm in my 5th year of shots and the difference is remarkable.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy (who has seasonal as well as year-round allergies)

coughy16 responded:
I am not clear on what caused him to diagnose you with seasonal allergies if you were having no symptoms? What caused him to decide you had allergies? If you do have seasonal allergies, you could discuss with your doctor only taking meds at times when you were having symptoms. I cut back on my allergy meds in the winter, when my allergens are few, therefore my symptoms less. I agree with Judy about seeing an allergist if you are in fact having bothersome symptoms at times.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center