Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Scratch Test
    ShadowButtersJetta posted:
    I have recently moved from Oklahoma to Alabama. My allergies have gotten worse since the move, understandably. Should I find an allergist? I've dealt with allergies my whole life. Things make me wheeze. I feel tired and sleepy all the time. Is that tied to allergies?

    How much does a scratch test cost and does insurance cover it? Do I need to be referred to an allergist? I don't have a primary physician yet.
    sgbl88 responded:
    You should probably start by finding a primary care. My allergist won't accept patients without a referral. The main problem is that a lot of insurance compaines require them, so the specialist does. It just makes their office staff's life easier. One policy for all patients and then insurance policies are always met.

    A primary might be able to do a lot for you.

    Being tired and sleepy can be part of the territory. Your immune system is attacking benign stuff and telling your body you are sick, when you aren't. It zaps your energy level just the same. You should have your wheezing checked too. Hate to sat it, but you could have developed asthma too. Adult on set asthma is not uncommon.

    My scratch test was $500. They are covered by most insurance, but may be applied to your deductible if that hasn't been met.

    Most people experience worse allergies in OK than anywhere else., Sorry you are having trouble after leaving this great state.
    ShadowButtersJetta responded:
    It is pretty much always humid here. I think that has something to do with it too.

    You're from Oklahoma I take it? I do miss it, and am sure we will eventually move back.

    Helpful Tips

    Relief for urticaria
    I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    5 of 5 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center