Skip to content
Taking Amoxicillin and Doxycycline, is it safe?
BreeCortez07 posted:
I am curious if it is safe to take these two medicines, (Amoxicillin and Doxycycline)?

please post back.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bree!

After putting these two medications into the Medscape Interaction Checker , it seems that there is a serious interaction. "doxycycline decreases effects of amoxicillin by pharmacodynamic antagonism. Serious - Use Alternative."

Please check the site here and speak with your doctor before taking and/or combining any medication.

Take care!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

An_251132 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
im wondering how long you should wait between taking them. i was put on amox for lyme and then i went to the ER last night for a big swollen lump that was apparently cellulitis and they gave me doxy and said to stop the amox. i filled it this morning but im not sure if its ok to take. is it ok to start it the next day? like the next dose of amox wouldve been this morn and i didnt take it or the doxy. should i wait longer? like i said it was ER so i cant get ahold of that dr now. please help!

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center