Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anaphalyxis Support Groups for Adults?
BubbleGirl80 posted:
Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to forums, so I don't know how well this would work, but I figured that I would give it a try. I am a 30 year-old woman living in Chicago with several lethal allergies; these include all types of nuts, peanuts, all types of shellfish, and chives. I wind up in the hospital at least once a year due to the number of allergies and the lack of understanding by the general public. (Example: I wound up in the hospital last 4th of July because the staff didn't think that "basted in almond paste" counted as having any nuts in the food). I carry 2 epi pens on me at all times, per the suggestion of my allergist, as 1 epi pen has been proven to be ineffective in calming my anaphylatic episodes. I have to keep to certain restaurants where even there I have to special-order all of my food...I'm sure that you guys are familiar with this story line.

Anyway, I am in search of a community of adults who are experiencing similar hardships to my own. The rise in anaphylaxis amidst children in the past 10-15 years has spurred the development of many parent support websites, understandably so. This fact, however, has made my search for adult anaphylaxis support group increasingly difficult. I was wondering if anyone knew of any such support groups and could point me in that direction.

Thank you in advance!

sgbl88 responded:
HI,

I am sorry about your situation. I personally don't know of any support groups like you are requesting.

The great thing about WebMD is that you can create any group you want, even hobby related (non-medical). I would suggest that you first check out the list of allergy communities on the "Communities" page which can be accessed by clicking on the word "communities" in the mapping list just under the "WebMD" in the page header. An alternative access method is to click on "Communities and Experts" on any of the roll over drop down menues in the page header. You will then have to click on the All Communitites tab and find allergies in the list.

If you do create a support group, there is a community to help you lead the group, but I can't remember its name at the moment. It may be "Comminity Adminstrators". Hopefully Amelia will chime in with that info. You will want to promote your new group wherever you can. Here would be a good place to start. There is a cooking community that would also be a good place to promote it.

Good luck finding the help you need.

Take care and God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center