Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
mosquito bites turn into bruise could it be allergies or something else
Anon_234778 posted:
I have bruised easy all my life. Now I find that een bug bites turn into bruises. I was bitten on Sunday by a mosquito or fly (i was on the water at dusk). and it itched like crazy the next day and was slightly smaller that a dime and raised. Now today, it is a bruise about the size of a quarter. He doesn't understand how a bite can turn into a bruise and thinks something totally different(topic for another Dr.). Anyway, this isn't the first time, a bite has turned into a bruise. I seems like the bigger bites turn into them. Is there something health related that I should be concerned about? Why does something like this happen? Is this normal?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome Anon,

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any information on bruising from bug bites, but want to share this WebMD Slideshow on Identifying Bug Bites . Possibly you can find a similar bite in the photos to your own for some answers. If you have been itching the site, this may have also led to your bruising.

Please check out the WebMD Insect Sting Allergy Overview , though thankfully your reaction doesn't seem to fit this concern. If you find any other reactions, don't hesitate to call your doctor.

Hoping that with treatment and not irritating the site, things will heal soon!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center