Skip to content
Tobacco Smoke???
RBalthrop posted:
I know this is probably a strange question to be asking, but I am hoping someone MIGHT have an answer. I Country Line dance and we go to the Club just about every week. I have a friend that smokes like a chimney and is VERY rude and sits right at the table us non-smokers are sitting at and smokes one after another. When I get home I am the one who smells like that has been smoking and the next morning I have a headache like I have been drinking all night (Oh and by the way I don't drink either). Is it possible that I am allergic to second hand tobacco smoke? Not only do I have a headache but my throat feels congested, my eyes are watery and sometimes I have a watery or stuffy nose. I have a cousin that is allergic to second hand smoke but we don't talk often enough for me to ask her what her symptoms are, so I am hoping someone on here has an answer for me. I know the best thing for me to do is just to stay out of the club but I LOVE to line dance. The non smoking club we had here they closed about a month ago But any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I have never smoked a day in my life but being around this friend I feel like I am the one smoking and I am sure with second hand smoke it is as bad as smoking.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD Allergy community.

Secon hand smoke is worse than actually smoking yourself. You have no filter to remove any portion of the toxic mix of chemicals. I could see why you would have a bad headache the next day after breathing all those toxins for and evening.

Many of us here and on the asthma community have had to give up things we love because of allergies and asthma triggers, but I do sympathize with you.

Maybe you could not let that friend know that you are going next time (that would have to have group cooperation though) so that you don't have the chimney at your table at least. Maybe if he/she learns that you as a group are excluding him/her because of their non-stop smoking, they will get the hint and take it somewhere else - or better yet - have a good motivator to stop altogether. There are many other things you can do to encourage the friend to stop smoking as well.

Some thing that may help you feel a little better after an evening with the chimney is to shower and wash your sinuses with a sinus wash bottle immediately when you get home.

I hope that helps. Please let us know what solution you find and how it worked.

Take care and God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

LearningaboutAllergies replied to sgbl88's response:
I have the same problem only I get that way when I go with my husband and daughter to visit his mom. His step dad smokes alot. As long as I am in the back of the house I can breathe but the minute I go in to the front room, my eyes start to water, and my nose gets stuffy.

LearningaboutAllergies replied to LearningaboutAllergies's response:
And I can't breathe all at the same time.

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center