Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
can allergy symptoms change?
hateallergez73 posted:
around July thru to the first good frost of the year i use to get the usual itchy/watery eyes, stuffy...etc etc..from time to time. life was miserable. so, i went to the doc and did the allergy shots for a few years. was good for a couple summers. now, its the time of year again and from time to time instead of the old symptoms i have started getting hives and my lips might swell up. doesn't matter location or time of day.

so i guess im curious to know ..could my allergies be back with new symptoms?

DUKE MEDICINE
Michael H Land, MD responded:
Dear Hateallergez73,

You bring up an excellent point about allergies that a lot of folks are not aware of. When an allergist typically mixes up your custom vaccine (allergy shot), they look at testing results that you have done to help determine what you are allergic to (at that time). For example, let's say you're allergic to Bermuda Grass and Ragweed pollen. They would add those into the vaccine. After you go through the shots, you should be tolerating exposure to those pollens just fine. However--since you're a person who is "prone" to allergies (which is why you developed them in the first place), it is certainly possible that you've developed allergies to New things. This may depend on exposure and if you've moved. Some people who live on the West coast may be allergic to Olive tree pollen, and then get shots for a few years and they're fine. If they move to the East coast or something, they might develop new allergies to other pollens then.

What you describe could be from pollen exposure, however, may not necessarily from this if it seems to happen at other times (like at nighttime or when you're on vacation away from home or something). I would encourage you to discuss these new symptoms with your allergist to see if it is possible that you've got new allergies or if it is another issue that is causing the hives. I hope this helps!
Michael

sgbl88 replied to Michael H Land, MD's response:
I have experienced this.

I had my first allergy testing done aobut 11 years ago. I tested negative to every thing except mild dog and mice allergy. I was tested again three years ago and had a rather long list of pollen allergies plus dog and cockroaches. I started allergy shots that time. My allergist tests every two years. For my second testing a year ago, several things tested negative (dog and cockroaches), one was worse (cedar which is my nemesis), and there were several new allergies like cat, oak, pecan, all grasses (previously just bermuda), mice. I went from one shot to two I had so many new allergens.

I hope having some specifics examples helps you.

God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center