Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Fruit Allergy
avatar
BrandiMckelvey posted:
Recently certain fruit that i eat give me an allergic reaction... itchy throat, slightly swollen tongue, swollen red painful lips... it happens with peaches, apples, nectarines, bananas and cherries.. that i know of so far... but not strawberries, waternelon, cantelope, pineapple.. Anyone know what could be going on????
Reply
 
avatar
DUKE MEDICINE
Michael H Land, MD responded:
Dear BrandiMckelvey,

Please have a look at my answer for another person with very similar symptoms to you (from about 2 weeks ago). The link is Here

Here is a link to patient information on food allergies with a great picture (Figure 1) that shows common fruits and their cross reactivities: Here and Here

Good Luck!
Michael
 
avatar
yatstr replied to Michael H Land, MD's response:
I am having a similar issue and loved your response (via the link). Just curious, I recently turned up allergic to mango in juices. In the past I have been to be able to eat it fresh and dried. Someone mentioned it might be the skin I was allergic too and the not the actual fruit. Is this possible?
 
avatar
Pat5002 replied to yatstr's response:
See the what is posted above about sulfites
 
avatar
brendabz replied to yatstr's response:
Mango's are in the same plant family as poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. If you are sensitive to those you can develop a contact allergy to mango very similar to a reaction to poison ivy etc in and around your mouth. I have this problem. Can no longer eat mango. Pistachios and cashews are also in this same plant family. So this could very well be your problem.
 
avatar
DUKE MEDICINE
Michael H Land, MD replied to yatstr's response:
Dear yatstr,

When you say that you recently "turned up allergic" does this mean that you had a reaction to mango? or was it a doctor's skin test or blood test that had a positive result? This is a very important distinction.

In the past, if you have been able to eat fresh and dried mango and have not ever had any reactions to it, then perhaps it is not a clinically significant test result and possibly a misdiagnosis.

Please have a look at my response to this patient's question about allergy test results HERE .

I hope this helps!
Good luck,
ML


Helpful Tips

regain you taste and smell
I lost my sense of taste and smell 4 years ago and have had multiple operations as well as daily flushed my nose with Pulmacort . My doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center