Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Major eye irritation/allergies
Enelyak01 posted:
Hello, I have allergies and was on allergy shots for 3 years; my doctor wanted me to be on the shots for at least another year, but, when I moved to a different state last year, I stopped getting allergy shots. I haven't been on them for over a year now.
Anyway I felt fine when I was living in my home state over the summer (now I moved back to another state where I'm attending school.) Now, my allergies are bad, and they haven't been this bad for many years.

My skin is really dry. At times I develop small rashes on my arms, face and a little on my chest (I used to have excema really bad when I was little.)

My eyes are giving me the most problems. They are always puffy, and my eyelids are very red, swollen, dry and flaky. They are constantly irritated, watery, and producing a ton of mucous at the corners of my eyes! most mornings I wake up and my eyes are SO puffy, and almost crusted over.

I've been taking Zyrtec almost every day, and sometimes Benadryl when it's really bad. I use Hydrocordozone cream for my rashes. I have an air purifer I use all the time.

I don't know what I should do anymore. The past 3 1/2 weeks my allergies have been the worst. I talked to a pharacist and all he suggested to do is keep doing what I'm doing already (but it's not really helping!) I kinda had this same problem this past late winter/early spring and I seen a doctor, and all she told me to do was take Zyrtec, use Hydrodortozone cream for 10 days only, then stop, and put a ton of liton on every day. I'm getting really frustrated.

Years ago when my allergies were really bad my doctor gave me a Kenalog (sp?) shot every month or two and that really seemed to help then. Another pharmacist I talked to last spring suggested a doctor giving me a cortizone shot I think it was.

Is there anything else that I can do to relieve my symptoms? should I go to a different doctor and see what they say?

Thank you.

Aqua14 responded:
What are you allergic to?

Here are some things that I've done to relieve eye allergies, hope they help you out:

1. OTC antihistamine eye drops (Zaditor, Alaway - also Zyrtec and Claritin make them). And use artificial tears kept in the refrigerator.

2. Baby shampoo eyelid washes. (Use cool water, put no-tears baby shampoo on a Qtip, gently scrub eyelids, rinse with cool water.) You can do this a couple of times a day, especially when you come in from outdoors (assuming you're allergic to pollen).

3. Cool compresses on the eyes (washcloth dipped in cold water, or ice wrapped in a washcloth).

4. If you're allergic to pollen, take a shower before bed and change your pillowcase frequently. Also, wear sunglasses outside (wrap around ones are best).

5. If you're allergic to dustmites, use an allergy cover for your pillow and mattress.

Cold inhibits inflammation (redness, swelling, and heat), which is why many of the ideas above use cold water or ice.

It would be a good idea to also visit another allergist who can check you for the more serious kind of eye allergies, because the above ideas are only for relief of mild allergic conjuncitivitis (eye allergies). The more serious kind require different treatment.

Hopefully some of these ideas help you. Take care and good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Enelyak01 replied to Aqua14's response:
Well, I decided to go to the doctor. Turns out I have a sinus infection, got antibiotics for that, and also got put on a dose of Prednisone...got eyedrops too. I'm starting to feel a LITTLE better.

Thanks for the reply. I actually tried the babywash eyewash alot of times, and cold compresses. Guess my allergies were too bad to try OTC stuff. Glad I went to the doctor.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center