Skip to content
propelyne glycol in E-cig
An_240232 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with early stage COPD due to years of cigarette smoking. I've begun using an E-cig which causes me to cough. I did not cough with real cigarettes. The manufacturer suggested I might have an allergy to propelyne glycol. Should persons with COPD refrain from using E-cigs?

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi An,

I'm so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis with COPD, but congratulate you on your attempt to quit smoking! Quitting smoking is the best thing that you can do for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease , whether it is cigarettes, pipes, etc.

E-cigarettes are supposedly safer than real tobacco cigarettes, yet they haven't been around long enough for researchers and doctors to know of the real effects that they will have on one's health. Norman Edelman, MD, chief medical officer, American Lung Association states in this E-Cigarette article , "They are nicotine delivery devices intended to be used like a cigarette. What happens to someone who stops inhaling the tars of cigarettes and inhales only nicotine? We don't know. There is at least the potential for harm."

With treating COPD , it is very important to avoid air pollution and smoke to slow the disease, therefore, you would think breathing in anything unnatural would be a hazard? I'm not a medical professional, but think that you should definitely read the hyperlinks above and speak more with your doctor on his/her thoughts towards e-cigs and your health. Take care of yourself and please keep us posted.

Wishing you the best!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center