Skip to content
Allergic to adhesive
chach3186 posted:
I just had an umbilical hernia repair yesterday, and forgot to tell the doc that my torso (literally just my torso) is allergic to adhesives.

I have sutures in as well as steri-strips and of course the tape on the outside holding on the dressing. I removed the tape from the dressing as I am wearing an abdominal binder, so the dressing stays in place. Are there non-adhesive alternatives to the ster-strips?

I tend to scar big (I think it's called keloitosis?) and so I'm trying to keep the scar closed for as long as possible.

Thanks

chach3186 responded:
I should note that the allergic reaction is hives.

sgbl88 replied to chach3186's response:
HI,

You really need to talk to your doctor about this. Removing the Steri-Strips too early can cause problems.

You do have my sympathies. I am allergice to most adhesives as well. I can usually tolerate professional ones (at hospitals and doctor's offices) and NexCare. I have run into some professional ones that I don't tolerate. A wired thing, while I tollerate 3M's NexCare, I don't tollerate their steri-strips.

Feel better and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center