Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
milk allergy or intolerance?
arielkitten posted:
My husband says my son has a milk allergy (he has never been tested) because he gets runny noses. He says that if my son has milk in his cereal he will get a runny nose, cough and get ill a week later. Has anyone ever heard of this?
I think he is wrong.

Thanks

Mainemommy responded:
you don't say How young your son is but you need to take him to a Dr this could be issues w milk or 100 other things or nothing. Allergic reactions involve anaphilaxic reaction & death. Do your son have skin issues like eczema? hives? You need to seek professional assistance

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi arielkitten,

As Mainemommy stated, you should be concerned about this reaction and have your son see an allergist as soon as possible. Food allergies, such as what you have described could lead to anaphylaxis.

Please read this Casein Allergy Overview . It states that, "If a glass of milk or a slice of pizza precipitates a runny nose, itchy skin , swollen lips, or other symptoms, you may have an allergy to casein, a protein in milk. Another milk protein associated with allergies is whey. Some people are allergic to both casein and whey.

Most people with these allergies develop them when they are infants and outgrow them as they get older. However, some people do not outgrow them and continue to be allergic as adults. It is unusual to develop an allergy to milk proteins later in life."

Don't take a chance and please seek a medical professional's help immediately for your son. Take care and please keep us posted!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

sanjuburo replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm an old man of 65 years verymuch fond of milk & drink milk regularly.i'm suffering from non allergic rhinitis with simultanious stuffy & runny nose. Is milk is responsable ?

Aqua14 replied to sanjuburo's response:
No. If you have NONallergic rhinitis, it is not due to an allergy, to milk or to anything else.. Doctors don't really know what causes nonallergic rhinitis. Hope this helps. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

beliteweight responded:
Yes, children can develop an allergy to milk. I would suggest you to take him to his pediatrician and let them test him. Till then try using Lactaid with him so you can see if it helps. It could be a reaction to the lactose (sugar) or the casein (protein) or both.

pallace74 replied to beliteweight's response:
I've noticed that many people develop allergy to milk but sometimes just temporary. it can appear in childhood or at 40-50 and after couple of years may disappear.
i found more stuff about this subject here http://www.kagoon.com/b/app#!cat=3&tab=latest

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center