Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arthritis with NSAIDs allergy
uniqmama posted:
I have several arthritic conditions with a severe allergy to NSAIDs. I currently take several prescriptions for the pain however, and receive IV infusions every 4 weeks, however, I always have inflammation and feel very alone. I know I am not the only person with this problem and it would be great to have some friends that understand what it's like... please let me know that I'm not alone in this awful situation!!

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,

Have you seen an allergist for you NSAID allergy. It is possible to treat some NSAID allgies. It sounds like it would be worth at least talking to an allergist to see if anything can be done.

I hope you get some answers and relief soon..
God bless,

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

uniqmama replied to sgbl88's response:
I have tried that... unfortunately i am highly allergic to ALL NSAIDs. I got into anaphylaxis. I was told to never take anything listed as an NSAID, ever!! Which makes treating my arthritic conditions very difficult.

Sometime the pain is so bad with the inflammation I wish I could just take them... but I guess living in pain is better than not living at all. Though sometimes I wonder. I just need to find other people with the same issues that understand. I have found 2 people lately, both of which thought they were the only ones as well... I know there must be more of us out there. I have started a support group and I am hoping that with people who understand, we can be each others support system when no one else understands.

Thank you for the suggestion though!

sgbl88 replied to uniqmama's response:
I am very sorry. I did fear being in your situation before I learned that some NSAID allergies could be treated. Arthritis runs in my family pretty bad. You do have my sympathies. I am so thankful mine could be treated.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

quietlycryin responded:
I really did not think this could happen. One day taking NSAIDs and then all of a sudden allergic. I am 47 years young with RA/Fibromyalgia and hypertension. Weekly injections and bi-weekly RA med. I have pretty much realized that living with pain is what I have to accept and now that I can't take what is typically helpful for imflammation, well, mentally it's a life sentence to cope the best way possible. What I find hard to deal with is other people that complains about their pain not related to arthritis or a chronic condition. Would not wish what we go through on them. Can't say I'm glad to read others are going through this but yes, would really like to hear or share secrets of relief. Wishing we all have more good days than bad.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center