Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergies leading to ear infections
HelyaofKY posted:
I'm in my late 30's and continue to get ear infections several times during the year. My doctor is not talking about referring me to a ENT, I'm to old for tubes in the ear. Is there anything else that could be done other than that?

sgbl88 responded:
Hi, and welcome to WebMD.

I have several thoughts for you.

First, you are not too old for tubes. I am in my mid forties and had tubes put in about 1 1/2 years ago for the first time. It was an excellent decission. My ENT did say that about 50% of adult patients hate them and have them removed. I have several adult friends that have tubes replaced reoutinely when they fall out.

Second, it sounds like your allergies are severe. Are you seeing an allergist? You may benefit from immunothterapy.

Third, I suffered with severe sinus and ear infections in my late thirties. I had a history of sinus infections but not ear infections. For me, this was the beginning phases of a disease called Aspirin Exacerbated Respiratory Disease (AERD). AERD begins in the mid to late thirties with severe sinus (and possible ear since they are connected) infections and progresses to severe, persistent, prednesone dependent (in many cases) asthma in the early to mid forties. I already had asthma, so it progressed to severe asthma in my very early forties.

I would recommend that you get tested and possibly treated for AERD. Testing is called an Aspirin Challenge. Basically, you go to a testing site (either qualified allergist's office or a hospital) and ingest a small amount of aspirin. They watch you carefully for symptoms like increased nasal congestion, sinus/migraine headache, asthma attacks... If you test positive, you may progress immediately into treatment which is repeated, increasing doses of asthma until you can handle a full dose of aspirin. You will then have to take aspirin the rest of your life. The benefit for you would be possibly stopping the progression before you develop asthma or at least keeping it from reaching severe levels.

AERD treatment has been absolutely life changing for me.

I hope that helps you some.

Good luck and God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center