Skip to content
Benadryl keeps me wide awake all night long
Anon_238530 posted:
As the title says, whenever I take benadryl (or nighttime cold medicine), I am literally up all night. It's 2am and I am completely awake. I'm not even slightly sleepy. I actually have more energy right now than I've had all day, and I had 3 shots of espresso. About a month ago, I had really bad allergies at night, and over the course of a night I ended up taking 5 benadryl and I slept at most a total of 4 hours, and not even in a row. Does anyone else have this issue? And, yes, I did check, and none of my medicine is expired.

It's weird, though. Caffeine makes me really really tired. It's like, if I want to go to sleep, I should drink coffee, and if I want to stay awake, I should take benadryl. It's so annoying.

And speaking of cold medicine, does anyone else find that phenylephrine has absolutely no effect? I thought I read a recent study that phenylephrine is just about as effective at relieving pain as a placebo. I'd believe it.

Take the Poll

Does benadryl make you tired?
  • Yes, I'm asleep in minutes
  • No, I'm up all night.
  • Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_238530 responded:
In case it's important, I'm a 21 year old female, 5'3", 115 pounds, and I don't take benadryl very often (nor do I drink anything with caffeine often).

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center