Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergy medication
willpowerchallenged posted:
My boyfriend is allergic to my cat and we have tried pretty much everything to help him with the sneezing and congestion it causes him. So far, the only thing that has worked really well is Claritin-D, but I worry that taking it every day may be harmful to his health. Does anyone know any other remmedy?

Aqua14 responded:
It would not be the Claritin that would have long-term effects, but taking that kind of dosage of oral decongestant (the "D" in Claritin-D) might increase his blood pressure over time.

You might consider getting a HEPA air cleaner in the bedroom, keeping the cat out of the bedroom, and doing other things to minimize the amount of cat dander you bring into the bedroom (e.g., take clothes off outside the bedroom, wash sheets frequently, etc.). Giving your BF 8 hours of freedom from exposure to cat dander might help a lot.

Saline sinus rinses are good for congestion, are non-medicated, and can be used several times a day. Most of us use the NeilMed squeeze bottle and saline packets found in the drugstore.

An allergist could prescribe a nasal steroid spray such as Flonase or Nasonex, or a nasal antihistamine such as Patanase. The nasal steroid is particularly good for congestion, although it may take 2-3 weeks to reach full effectiveness. Singulair is also somewhat good for congestion but personally I wouldn't rely on that alone.

Hope these ideas help. An allergist would have other good ideas to help your BF manage this. Take care and good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

willpowerchallenged replied to Aqua14's response:
Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried pretty much everything on the menu. The saline rinses only help for a few minutes. Nasal sprays have provided fast temporary relief, but we've tried to stay away from them so as to not create dependency on them.

Every once in a while he has a few weeks of relief, but then has an allergic crisis all of a sudden.

I guess my only answer is to get rid of my cat.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center