Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Always Always Always Sick
An_242510 posted:
Hello! I am a 26 year old female. I eat very healthy, exercise regularly, get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, practice yoga and meditation to control stress, and take my vitamins. Despite my extremely healthy lifestyle I seem to be sick all of the time. I have a cold for about 2 weeks, it goes away for a few weeks, then I get another cold. It has been like this for the past 3 years or so. I am also fatigued basically all of the time and have some minor digestive issues.

My previous doctor blew it off.... she thought I was confusing cold symptoms with allergies. Allergist tested me for allergies, had none. Put me on an over the counter allergy med, nasal spray, and sinus rinse anyway. And all of those things made no difference.

I've had several ear infections and sinus infections over the past few years. And I seem to get rashes frequently, and they take forever to go away.

My new doctor just tested me for auto-immune diseases but all of the results came back normal. After looking at the symptoms of the main auto-immune diseases that didn't seem to fit with my symptoms anyway. I have no joint pain or issues there.

I am vigilant about washing my hands and paranoid if I'm around somebody sick. I cannot seem to figure out why I seem to be unable to stay healthy.

I am so sick of being sick. It has effected every aspect of my life and I'm just tired of it. It just does not seem normal for an otherwise healthy 26 year old to be getting sick so frequently. I have adjusted every aspect of my life (diet, exercise, sleep) in order to be as healthy as possible... always thinking that maybe if I just did x y or z I would be able to combat this. At one point I went on a vitamin craze and was taking every vitamin under the sun in an effort to boost my immune system but nothing seems to help.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on with me???? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Should I continue to pursue this with my doctor, or just accept that this is the way it is?

I posted this is the cold and flu section but thought I would post it here too since as far as I know, allergists also deal with immune system issues.

Aqua14 responded:
First off, what kind of allergy test did you have? A blood test? Skin prick? Skin prick with subsequent intradermals (injections of allergens under the skin)? The type of test done can make a difference.

Blood tests can have false negatives, and skin prick tests can fail to identify less severe allergies. In my case, I'm allergic to 5 things that only showed up after the allergist did the intradermals.

You might want to get a second opinion from another allergist, and have the intradermals done if the skin prick tests don't show anything.

The other idea to pursue with an allergist is some type of immune deficiency, which can be tested for.

Keep pursuing answers and don't let your doctor pooh-pooh your concerns. If your doctor continues to blow off your concerns, replace her with someone who takes you seriously. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Frank_I_am responded:
I'm amazed to have found someone experiencing the same this that I am going thorough right now. When I read your post it felt like I actually wrote it. I have been dealing with this for 4 years now and only a few days ago, after seeing countless doctors, did this doctor even mention it could be allergies. I just started today on the his allergy treatment, but can you tell me if you able to identify if allergies was the problem?

supertgrl responded:
My friends allergist said that nasal cysts and polyps can cause all the symptoms you're having. You should get a sinus CT done just to see if there is anything going on up there.

She had NO sinus symptoms, just hives and angioedema episodes mixed with being sick every two seconds (strep, then a cold, then stomach virus, etc). Had a sinus CT done, and it turned out she had a cyst in my maxillary sinus. All she had to do was rinse her nose out with a special saline mixture that her doctor made just for her in his office, and she was good to go.

I would like to point out that I am not a doctor, and this very well could not be causing any of your symptoms at all, but I think it's worth looking into.

Helpful Tips

Medications
Check your computer or smart phone before you pay for a Prescribed drug. Your MD does not know the "inactive" ingredients" the computer can ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center