Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Specific cat but not others
KerlEQ posted:
Is it true that when a person is allergic to one short-haired cat and not another short-haired cat it is most likely because of their DNA? If a person with such an allergy gets an allergy test will it show an allergy to cats?

Aqua14 responded:
I don't think it's due to their DNA. But I have read that dark-haired cats cause more allergic reactions, as do male cats. Among my friends and relatives, one reacted strongly to our male cat, and one said she only reacted to Siamese cats. Then there are those people who appear to develop a tolerance to their own cat due to being around it all the time, but react to other people's cats.

Hopefully these thoughts help. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

tunes8863 responded:
My allergy tests revealed I was allergic to everything except mold and cats were off the charts for me. I didn't need tests to tell me that. However, I had a long hair white angora cat that didn't affect me at all. But I'd go to friends homes and couldn't stay 5 min. before my eyes were beet red, teary and itching. Go figure.

1whippet replied to tunes8863's response:
tunes, Thank goodness you aren't allergic to mold! And, I'm sorry you are allergic to everything else. About cat allergies: it is the cat proteins people may be allergic too. The cat licks itself, the saliva dries & goes airborne, the airborne cat protein gets into allergic person's nose, mouth, lungs, or even on skin, & an allergic reaction occurs.
Perhaps your angora cat doesn't lick itself as much as others. Do you wash the cat?
Going to your friends' homes, your allergic reaction suggests your friends' have dust mite residue, dust, leave their windows open & get all the pollens, air pollution, they never change the filters on their house air system. You want to feel better, you may have to find new friends who clean their spaces, use hepa filters, use air conditioning, etc. It is tough & heart breaking, I know as my family doesn't have my allergy problems, they are resistant to using air cleaners. So, I limit my visits to when the temp falls below 45F, after it has rained & washed air out of pollen. I know what you are going thru. I'm searching for new friends who share my allergies problems so we can spend time together. Please don't give up.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center