Skip to content
Christmas Tree/Coughing
avatar
MarianneMarianne posted:
While I was taking down the tree, I started coughing and the coughing got worse as the chore went on. It was so bad I thought I was going to crack a rib. When I finally got the tree out of the house it subsided instantly; but now I have a tightness in my chest. What did that tree do to me?
Reply
 
avatar
Aqua14 responded:
Live Christmas trees grow a lot of mold. People can be sensitive to mold spores even if they aren't allergic. Probably you inhaled the mold spores and your lungs responded by coughing. The chest tightness is probably due to bronchoconstriction (tightening of the breathing tubes). If you have asthma, the chest tightness would be relieved by a puff or two of your fast-acting (albuterol) inhaler.

This is why many people with allergies to mold and related asthma opt for artificial trees. As long as an artificial tree is stored in a bag (so that it doesn't collect dust), it's a lot better than a live tree.

Before I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma I was always puzzled why I would get sick around Christmas. After I was diagnosed as allergic to mold (with related asthma) and we got an artificial tree, I'm no longer sick.

Hope these thoughts help you out. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.


Helpful Tips

Herbal health care product
Herbs Solutions By Nature is just the right destination for all those who have been looking for a herbal cure to their relevant disease. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center