Skip to content
Allergies to Concrete
An_242677 posted:
I have noticed lots of people have this dry skin problem and live in apartments and homes with concrete floors. And lots of folks don't ware shoes in their home if they have carpeting...
My question is, has anyone ever heard of anyone having
an allergic reaction as well as the dry skin problems from walking on concrete floors?/...(maybe more in folks with low immunity then others~(Psoriasis) just a thought)
I have more ideas on this subject, but would like to hear from others to see if their thoughts line up with mine/ just my own personal study~
THNX so much,
conniem~

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Connie,

While I hadn't really thought of this before, you have some great questions on the effects of popular concrete flooring.

According to this Dust Allergies Overview , "Concrete stays damp and creates the moist, humid environment that dust mites crave." Therefore, if one lives with unsealed concrete floors and has dust allergies, this could definitely be a trigger.

Our Moisture and Mold Problems Overview also suggests to, "Consider painting concrete floors and using area rugs instead of wall-to-wall carpet in basements. If you plan to install carpet over a concrete floor, it may be necessary to use a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) over the concrete and cover that with sub-flooring (insulation covered with plywood) to prevent a moisture problem."

From this information, you can find that concrete may affect ones allergies, asthma and possibly more. I hope that you will post your question in our Skin Problems & Treatments Community and our Skin & Beauty Community for more expert insight to your question and its regards to dry skin.

Look forward to hearing more!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

conniem21855 replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
Amelia,
Thnx for the great info...Got it saved and also passed this info on to a few friends. `Very interesting`
Now here's an other thought I have; When after a shower, I've noticed my lower legs and esp. my feet would itch.
So i started rinsing my legs with warm to cool water to make sure I got all the soap off. The warm to cool water helps get rid of soap residue, then I blow dry my legs while patting them with a towel, not rubbing just patting/then I'll use an unscented body lotion. This does help limit the itching.
But what I'm getting at is~ When I get done doing dishes and let them drip dry and even towel dry, there is a white residue on them, and the only way to get rid of it, is by soaking them in vinegar or bleach.
Here's the question, If this white stuff is on the dishes after they have been washed, wouldn't it be on us after we come out the shower or bath?
I have psoriasis and have to find ways to not aggravate any dry patches.
Still looking for answers for myself and others just to find comfort and to get rid of it. Now I think the water might be a problem for people with extra dry skin. just my thought.
Need to find out what the white residue is and figure out how to rinse it off our skin without having to use Vinegar or
bleach...LOL
: ) connie

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to conniem21855's response:
So glad that the info helped, Connie!

Why not talk to your local water department or check out the US EPA site to check your area's water stats? Also, have you spoken to your doctor/dermatologist/allergist about these concerns?

Hoping things resolve soon!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center