Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergy meds and Birth Control
Tails266 posted:
I have been taking Singular for almost a year now and have been receiving allergy shots for just as long. Just recently in December I was put on the birth control Tri-Sprintec and I was wondering does anyone out there know if the allergy medications would have any effect on my birth control? I am also taking Fluticasone Propionate for my allergies as well. I read in the little booklet the the Singular hasn't been known to effect other birth controls but I realize that it doesn't apply to all and I would like to put my mind and that of my boyfriend's to rest.

Tails266 responded:
I should also mention I have type one Diabetes and acute asthma in which I take Albuterol sulfate for only when needed which isn't often.

Aqua14 responded:
I doubt it. You could go on drugs.com and check their drug interaction module. Or ask your doctor or pharmacist.

FWIW I never noticed an interaction between my BCP and all of the various allergy meds I've been on over the years (which includes Singulair, Nasonex [similar to fluticasone>, Zyrtec, Patanase, and various asthma meds). But that's me; your experience may vary.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Tails!

I wanted to offer you the WebMD/Medscape Drug Interaction Checker to see if you found any negative interactions. You should always contact your doctor as well with these types of concerns and questions. He/she will know best according to your medications and medical history.

Take care!
Amelia
The difference between an itch and an allergy is about one hundred bucks. - Anonymous

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center