allegic to worksite
CleanSlate777 posted:
My girlfriend works in a school library and has been suffering from an ever increasing list of syptoms that we attribute to some type of allergic reaction to mold or some chemical in the building. She has shortness of breath, muscle weakness, vertigo, sinusitis, frequent headaches, and a general feeling of exhaustion all the time. A air quality test has proven nothing, and we are now wondering if the symptoms are leading in another direction. Any ideas?

Aqua14 responded:
Sounds like perhaps allergy and asthma. Paper books degrade as they get older and there is some kind of mold that lives on old books. So I'd suspect a mold allergy with asthma triggered by that allergy. Many of her symptoms have been experienced by those of us with allergies and asthma, especially before the allergies and asthma were controlled.

The best thing your GF can do is to visit an allergist and get tested for allergies and asthma. Medications can bring symptoms under control, and allergy shots can help a lot in the long run.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

1whippet responded:
CleanSlate, I'm not a doctor, though I've had lifelong allergies & asthma. If my loved one was suffering daily from those health problems at work, I'd help them find another job in a new, cleaner, healther environment. It's not just the books, ... & one air quality test doesn't prove anything about your loved one's health. Obviously, the school library is full of mold, mildew, because the mold & mildew isn't only on books, its in the air system, on the walls, the book stacks, the carpets, ceilings, & mold & mildew can circulate thru the air when it is dry. Instead of wasting time trying to get them to clean the library's air vents, clean, refurbish the place, help your loved one's health & sanity by finding a cleaner place to work. The school may not want to do anything, change anything, up grade, replace anything, etc., as that costs them $. They can hire someone else who doesn't have the health problems - yet. You have one girlfriend. If the doctor won't listen to her, if they try to tell her it is all in her head, take your girlfriend to a FEMALE doctor. This is what I would do. Sorry, you must become your own activist.