Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What is the difference between Levocetirizine and Cetirizine?
An_243559 posted:
I have been taking levocetirizine and now with my new insurance it isn't covered. Actually they aren't covering any type of allergy medicine. I take it for nasal allergies and hives. I need to find something that works that will be more cost effective. I need to know what the main differences are between levocetirizine and cetirizine to help my make a decision. Please help!

Take the Poll

What allergy medicine worked best for you?
  • Allegra
  • Claritin
  • Zyrtec
  • Other - Please specify in a response
vote
View Poll Results

willpowerchallenged responded:
They are both antihistamines and work pretty much the same way, but levocetrizine seems to be prescribed more frequently for hives (where citirizine works well for nasal allergies).

Insurance companies have stopped covering most allergy medications because of their increasing availability over-the-counter. You may be able to get your insurance company to cover it (or most of it) if you can get your doctor to convince them that it's the only thing working for your condition at this time.

Your doctor can help you norrow down what other medication may be right for you.

Good luck.

Aqua14 responded:
Levocetirizine (Xyzal) is essentially a "purified" form of cetirizine (Zyrtec), which is supposed to take away some of the side effects of Zyrtec. So they're chemically related. My understanding is that the standard adult dosage for Xyzal is 5 mg while the standard adult dosage for Zyrtec is 10 mg.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

robertirwing responded:
Levocetirizine (as levocetirizine dihydrochloride) is a third-generation non-sedative antihistamine, developed from the second-generation antihistamine Cetirizine, and like cetirizine it is a long lasting antihistamine covering the same area of allergy disorders and blocks the action of histamine reliving discomfort and promoting recovery. The difference between these two drugs and traditional antihistamines such as chlorphenamine (chlorpheniramine) is a less sedating effect on the central nervous system making it ideal for those individual who need to avoid sleepiness

jags001 responded:
Every chemical will have active substance in it, the substance which is responsible for the typical character and actions of that chemical. This active substance itself will be of two kinds or you can say two types of substance join together to make a single substance. These two type of substance are called dextro rotatory and levo rotatory.
dextro rotatory part of a particular substance will turn the plane polarised light to the right, thats why its called dextro (right) rotatory.

Similarly, the other part is levo rotatory, which turns the plane polarised light to the left.

Now, comes the actual fact. Out of this two parts of a single chemical only one kind of substance (ie.. either dextro or levo) is active in a particular way. for eg;
in the case of cetirizine tablet, the active ingredient cetirizine. the cetirizine will have both dextro and levo part to it. But, for alleviating allergies only levo is active. the dextro part of it doesnot have any action. so in principle if you take only normal cetirizine, you are actually taking dextro rotatory cetirzine along with levo rotatory cetirizine, even though dextro has no part to play in the body except giving some side effects or may be waste in the body!

Only, levo will act on your ailments and relieves you from the allergies.

owing to this many companies have now introduced drugs which contain only those part of active substance which are acting on the intended ailments. either dextro or levo. But the process of purifying the substance is highly sophisticated and costly. so every company and patient may not be in a position to afford it.

benefits: Only active substances needed for the intended action is consumed.
Lesser side effects as less drug enters the body

better action!

etc..

Hope i have thrown some light on this subject. Happy reading.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center