Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Hoarse since Dec.
An_243776 posted:
Went to ENT and he said my severe hoarseness was reflux (after running tube down through my nose). He gave me some strong reflux meds that I have been taking. I also went and had allergy testing that showed I was allergic to nothing. I am still having the hoarseness and continue to cough up a VERY thick green stuff that usually is worse in the a.m. and p.m. Prior to going to the ENT I had sinus x-ray and chest x-ray that was normal. Anyone else have something similar to this. It's the green drainage that I wonder about. It seems the sinus x-ray would have shown an infection.

Aqua14 responded:
It does take a while for the reflux meds to kick in. In the meantime, the acid could still be refluxed to your lungs, causing your lungs to get inflamed and produce mucus to try provide protection from the irritating stomach acid. Did you tell your doctor about the mucus you're coughing up? If not, I'd give him a call and advise him of this.

Have you tried an anti-reflux diet? And do you sleep with your head elevated? Both of those would help in conjunction with the reflux meds to reduce your symptoms, which in turn would help your lungs. Do some reading about reflux and try some of the suggestions to reduce your symptoms. There's lots of information on the Web since reflux is really common. You may also want to start taking Tums to reduce acid around mealtimes.

Hope these thoughts help you, and hopefully the reflux meds will reach their full effectiveness soon. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

sgbl88 replied to Aqua14's response:
Hi,

I have had reflux leryngitis as well. It took about 6 months for mine to go away. I had a hard time getting control of the reflux for a few months though, even following Judy's advice.

As far as the green mucous, green is usually a sign of infection. I suggest you request a CBC to check your white blood cell count to see if there is an infection. Reflux can cause sinus infections and bronchitis.

I hope that helps.

God bless,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center