Skip to content
Oat allergy (not Celiac Disease)
TheVariance posted:
I am wondering if anyone else has issues with oats, and only oats. I very rarely have heartburn of any sort but when I have oats, it is like hell on earth. The heartburn lasts for days and is unbearable (it took me a while to figure out that it was oats).

It happens from anything containing any type of oat product: oats, oat fiber, oat flour, anything...

I can consume any other type of grain with no sign or symptom of a problem. I don't get indigestion, rashes, headaches, or anything; just unrelenting heartburn.

Antacids do absolutely nothing. The only cure is benedryl.

My doctor just told me never to eat oats but that is too simplistic a response; I'd like to know what is wrong with me... or why my body is rejecting the oats (or perhaps some protein, etc. in oats).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

ajv8604 responded:
my son is allergic to oat in all forms including in lotions. we had him tested before he turned one because he would throw up for several days after eating oats (ie oatmeal) and very bad stomach cramps within hours of eating oats in other things (ie gerber puffs). he know has and epi-pen jr and i carry liquid benedryl. so if u think it's an allergy get tested and talk to the allergist about it.

An_250745 responded:
Oats are a rare allergy, but it is possible to be allergic to them, according to my allergist. You should be checked out by an allergist and a gastroenterologist. There is a disorder of the esophagus that causes pain and swelling after ingesting an allergen, called eosinophilic esophagitis. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center