Skip to content
5 yr old and allergy shots
An_244190 posted:
My 5 year old has asthma, eczema, and is allergic to dust, all grasses, some weeds and trees, cats, dogs, mold, peanuts and green peas. He's on Zyrtec and Advair hfa 115/21 daily and has albuterol and epi when needed. His allergist wants to start allergy shots next month. He said the 1st day would take 2-3 hrs because my son would get 10 shots. I was just wondering if that was normal.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi,
That is one standard option called Rush. It is very effective and gets the patient on the maintenance dose much faster. I have done it.

However, I think I would ask the doctor for other start up options for a five year old. I just don't think a five year old should be kept in a doctor's office for that long (and don't forget giving a young child that many shots in one day). I think that would be too much for him.

His doctor may be thinking about how severe his allergies are and wanting to get to maintenance very quickly. This would give better control of his asthma and eczema more quickly.

I hope that helps some.

Take care and
God bless.

Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

coughy16 responded:
I agree with Sonya that it sounds like Rush. I also agree that it would make sense to check into it a little further before deciding if that's the best way to go. I know that it is becoming more common, my dr won't do it because he feels that chance of a reaction is too high. Also the people who I know who did the rush had to premedicate with steroids and other drugs in order to decrease the probability of a reaction. Sonya has a good point about all of that maybe being too much for a 5 yr old. I think it might be too much for me! But it makes sense to talk to the dr about your concerns, because maybe there's a reason that he thinks it's so important to reach maintenance so quickly.

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center