Skip to content
sodium allergies
gremlin9 posted:
Since 16 yrs old, I have had a serious reaction to food containing sodium. Some of these foods are; ham, prepacked side dishes, and microwave popcorn. I don't have to just ingest it. I have had reactions to bacon cooking in the kitchen, and being in a movie theater and having people come to my aid. the physical reactions are the swelling of my face, hands, feet, and respiratory difficulty.
I have been in the ER for my kidney shutting down within 5 hours of eating a bag of doritos. A nurse tried to convince me it was a bladder infection. Not in 5 hours it ain't.
After 30 years, I would like to find a test that might place a name to it.

Aqua14 responded:
Do you react to pure salt (e.g., salt sprinkled on cooked, fresh vegetables steamed in water)? If not, then I'd suspect you may be reacting to some type of preservative in those foods rather than to sodium chloride (salt). You may want to look for a preservative or maybe a food coloring that's common to the foods to which you've reacted. Sulfite is just one possibility that comes to mind, since many people seem to be sensitive to it.

Once you've narrowed it down to a few possible preservatives, a visit to an allergist would seem to be in order.

Hope these thoughts help - take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

gremlin9 replied to Aqua14's response:
I never knew what it could be. I went to an allergist. They tested for regular food allergies, ignoring my symptoms. Then stated I should go see a therapist. That there was no such allergy. Then I saw it. A product warning on the back of Chantix. I laughed, then cried. I was on this prescription for 4 weeks and had had ballooned 3 sizes before realizing something was wrong. Like I had said in my first request for assistance, i don't have to ingest the allergen. If bacon is cooking or microwave popcorn is popping, I ballon before everyones' eyes. So, is there sulfite in prepackaged side dishes? theater popcorn? clam chowder? chinese sweet n sour chicken? potatoe chips? deli meat? I would love to take something back to my doctors in a few months.

phorest replied to gremlin9's response:
Hey gremlin9,
I can empathize with your frustration surrounding your search for a diagnosis or root-cause for your allergy. I wonder if you might be allergic to phosphate preservatives. I am allergic to sodium phosphate, calcium phosphate, aluminum phosphate and to a lesser degree, phosporic acid like that included in cola drinks. There are many other forms of these such as di-disodium phosphate.
Most, if not all, of those foods you mentioned contain a phosphate preservative. I get a GI reaction that includes diarrhea and anal burning. The worst reaction comes from eating canned chicken. Luncheon meats and salad dressings can also be loaded with this stuff.
These phosphates are acid-base buffers. Basically, they appear to retard food spoilage by neutralizing the acid produced by the microbes.
I have never found anyone else with my symptoms and all the health-care providers I have seen have been either baffled or incredulous. I have had this since childhood and it is a real pain the ass {literally} since I can never be sure it has not been added to a food, especially when eating out.
Good luck with your search. I hope this helps.
Phorest

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center