Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergy Shots
Mommagump posted:
My son takes allergy shots at the local clinic twice a week for his mold allergy. He has 3 more shots to be on the maintence dose. The last 2 he got he had a big red spot come up on his arm. They were about the size of a lemon. We thought he was have an allergic reaction so I took him back to the Allergy Doctor. When they saw his arm they said that his shots were given to far back on his arm and that the medicine wasn't going into his system but was coming back to the top of the skin and causing burns. His shots are given in the back of his arm. Where can I find something I can print off that shows where to give the shots and something about the allergy burns

whynotalice responded:
Ask if they can give his shot to him in his hip, you know right at the top of the buttocks. I get 3 shots, I have trouble w/ one and they put it in my hip. Or ask if they can alternate arms. That sometimes helps. use lots of Cortizone cream as well as antihistamines.

coughy16 responded:
I also have much more problems with local reactions when they put the shot too far back on the arm. My allergist once told me not to be afraid to show the nurses where to put the shot if I have the problem again. Almost all the nurses where I go do a great job, but there is one who jabs the needle in & puts it too far back. I would just watch when they are getting ready to see that it's not too far back. Is he getting the shots in the allergists office? If not, I would try to take him there if possible, there is a specific way they should be given. I would think that an experienced allergy nurse would know how to do it!

sgbl88 responded:
My allergist called that a local reaction. You can have them with properly placed injections as well. It is more like a hive. I have never heard of it being called a burn. It is a localized reaction to the allergens that have been introduced at the sight.

My typical reaction when I first started shorts four years ago was about the size of a softball. If they "missed the mark" so to speak just about my entire upper arm became red, swollen and hot. I now get two injections at the same time. The left arm shows no local reaction, while the right arm has a small egg sized "hive".

I have been told by the head nurse at my allergist that the shot should be just inside the V formed by the layers of upper arm muscles. From personal experience, if that spot is missed there can be a really nasty reaction. I don't know if there is any information online describing the proper placement of the injection, but maybe you can request the head nurse to demonstrate for you where it should be place.

Icing the infections site and applying allergy eye drops does help soothe the reaction.

I hope that helps you.

God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

It helps me sleep
I been getting really bad hives for abot 3 months now, I have no idea why I would be getting hives I been very healthy my whole life, but ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center