Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
smell smoke
MandaBug posted:
Hi,
I am a 29 year old female who has been having a stuffy nose and post nasal drip for a while (probably over 5 months). Today I woke up and for some weird reason I keep smelling this "smokey" smell. It isn't strong or constant, it just kind of comes in whiffs. Any insight?? Thank you=)

Aqua14 responded:
Over the years this has been a common question on the board. My understanding from the responses of previous medical experts on this board is that nasal inflammation causes you to experience false smells such as smoke (the medical term is "phantosmia").

At this point you should probably be seen by a physician to determine what's causing your problems - perhaps a sinus infection - and get treated.

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

sgbl88 responded:
I agree with Judy. You definitely need to be evaluated for possible sinus infection. There are many possible causes to phantosmia. The easiest to treat and most likely is a sinus infection.

Feel better and keep us posted on how you are doing.

God bless,
sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

MandaBug replied to sgbl88's response:
Thank ya'll so much. It went away by the next day, and now my allergies are raging. I have the itchy, dry and watery eyes, stuffy nose and still the post nasal drip. The only problem with seeing my physician is that I go to the University hospital on the indigent care program. It would be more than a month before I would get an appointment. The main reason I had asked is because it was happening at that time and has come and gone for a while now.
God Bless and Happy Easter!!

Helpful Tips

regain you taste and smell
I lost my sense of taste and smell 4 years ago and have had multiple operations as well as daily flushed my nose with Pulmacort . My doctor ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center