Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
wheezing and tightness in chest with cat allergy
LoriAnn517 posted:
A few months ago I ended up in the ER with severe reaction to cats. An Epi-pen and steroids were administered. No other attacks since. Last night I had another reaction although much less severe. I did not go to the hospital but did take some Benadryl as suggested by the ER doctor. More than 18 hours later I am still experiencing the wheezing and tightness in my chest, especially when I am laying down. Any suggestions on how to get some relief?

Aqua14 responded:
From your symptoms it seems pretty clear that you're having an asthma attack due to your allergy to cats. It would be a good idea for you to contact your doctor as soon as you can to get seen - or go to your urgent care center to get this addressed ASAP. Benadryl is not going to clear this up, and it could get worse.

And it would also be a good idea to get seen by an allergist, who can determine what asthma medications you need to take care of this in the future. For example, you may need a short-acting inhaler (albuterol or similar).

Finally, it may be best to do whatever you can to avoid cats, and if you can't, to wear a N95 rated mask over your nose and mouth which will prevent you from inhaling cat dander and lessen the severity of the attack, or perhaps prevent it altogether.

Hope these thoughts help. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Nicole_2007 responded:
Me and my daughter have the same problem. More then likely its allergy induced asthma. You need to talk to your doctor about getting a inhaler and if it gets to bad you might havbe to take something like flovent twice a day

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center