Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Cat Allergy or Mites???
MindcrimeMadness posted:
Hello,

I am looking for help with a problem I have been dealing with for 6 months. My situation forced me to move into my parents basement. Since that time, I have experienced itching when I sleep. At first, I slept on a sofa bed. I thought it was bed bugs, but there is no sign of bed bugs. I thought it was dust mites and an air purifier did not work. I have purchased every type of medication, bug spray, itching cream and powder with no success. Now they have 3 cats. I have owned and have lived with cats for the better part of my life. I have never had a problem being allergic to cats at any point. The glaring note is that I feel like I have tiny bugs biting me when I sit anywhere in the basement. These bug can not be seen either. I can only feel them jumping from my hair and crawling around at different points of my body. Mainly in my hair, down my back, in my eyes and around my waist. Even when I have clothes on. When I feel like they are biting me, my lungs begin to hurt and I feel like I want to cough. Also my ears hurt and my nose runs. I went to the doctors and she felt it was a cat allergy. But why would I feel biting and crawling from a cat allergy. It's not fleas, because you can see fleas. These you cannot see. Sleeping is impossible and I get about 3 hours of sleep each night. If anyone has a possible idea what this is, please contact me ASAP.

Thanks,
Steven M.

Aqua14 responded:
Allergies can cause skin itching of the type you describe -- this has happened to me, and it's really a weird feeling to have the itching/crawling feeling move from body part to body part. It does kind of feel like bugs crawling. Have you tried taking a strong antihistamine like Zyrtec? If you took Zyrtec daily for a week you might see some improvement, particularly if you took your dose about an hour before bedtime.

It would be a good idea to go to an allergist and get allergy tested. Primary care doctors can guess what you may be allergic to, but only an allergy skin test can pinpoint the allergen. Basements are notorious for being humid, which can promote mold growth as well as dust mites.

Air purifiers are useless against dust mite allergen; you'd need to use allergy encasements on your pillows, mattress and box spring, as well as frequently wash your bedding in hot (>130 degree) water. A dehumidifier would also help, as dust mites need a humid environment to live. Dust mites can also happily live in carpeting and other upholstered furniture.

But the first step is the allergy test so that you won't waste your time and money on things that might not help.

Hope these thoughts help. Take care & good luck. Judy (allergic to mites, mold, pollen but successfully desensitized with allergy shots)
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

It helps me sleep
I been getting really bad hives for abot 3 months now, I have no idea why I would be getting hives I been very healthy my whole life, but ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center