Skip to content
Has anyone gotten allergic to something new after being on allergy shots?
coughy16 posted:
I am wondering if maybe I have gotten allergic to something else, as since my allergy shots started being effective I have had few problems, but ever since March, I have been having some annoying symptoms, particularly with itchy, really watery eyes and nasal congestion a lot. The other day I was sitting talking on the phone & my eyes were watering so much it looked like I was crying. Has anyone had to start shots for something else after they were already on maintenance? If so, how does that work? Do you take that as a separate shot until you reach maintenance? It's tree pollen season around her, I already have some trees in my shots.

sgbl88 responded:
Hi coughy16,

I developed new allergy to oak and mulberry after starting shots. My new symptom was very itchy face and nose.

My allergist retests every two years. After retesting, she re-formulated my serum and then I started over with building back up to maintenance dose.

I hope that helps.

God bless,
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

coughy16 replied to sgbl88's response:
So she started you completely over on everything? Wow, I would have thought there was an easier way! Well, going to the allergist next month, I'll see what she has to say. Where I go, they don't automatically retest, only if you are having symptoms which would cause concern.

sgbl88 replied to coughy16's response:
Yeah, it is actually easier to start over though. Actually, you may not start completely at the begining. It has been two years since I was retested. I don't remember what dosage my remix started at, but I do remember that it didn't take as long to get back up to maintenance dose as it did to get there the first time. I was held a couple times because I had bad reactions to my remix which didn't happen with my initial serum.

Your doctor may do it differently though.

When a retest is done they find that you have been desensitzed to some of the things in your serum. Those things can be taken out. They also add the new allergens that are identified. With my retest I had about 5 new allergens and they were able to remove 3 or 4 things. I tested negative for dog allergy the second time. She didn't take that out of my serum though. I think thatwas because we have a dog. lol... She wanted to increase one allergen, but I was already on maximum dosage of it. It is complicated.

Reformulating helps the doctor keep the number of infections you get each time to a minimum.

I hope that helps some.

Take care and
God bless.
Sonya
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

Tip: safe use of epinephrine auto-injectorsExpert
For patients with allergic diseases that place them at risk for severe allergic reactions or anaphylaxis, epinephrine autoinjectors are an ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 27 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center