Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Allergies?
Home67 posted:
I suffer from constant post nasal drip, severe sinus pressure behind my eyes and around my temples. I have had an MRI to rule out sinus infections and have had allergy tests that are negative. However, whenever I run outside, I begin sneezing, become congested and the sinus pressure turns into a headache that makes me nauseas. I explained this to the ENT and he says a there is no such thing as exercise induced allergies. The headache lasts for days, they completely drain me of my energy and it is difficult to stay focused. Does anyone have similar symptoms?

Aqua14 responded:
What kind of allergy tests did you have, and what kind of doctor performed them? If, for example, your ENT took blood and sent it in, an allergy blood test can be falsely negative (or, for that matter, falsely positive). Skin prick and intradermal allergy skin tests performed by an allergist are the gold standard. So if you haven't had an allergist do skin allergy tests on you, you should go do that first.

Running outside could be simply exposing you to environmental pollens or molds and triggering nasal allergies. Or it could be, as you're assuming, some sort of exercise-induced reaction (which does occur to some people, contrary to what your ENT says -- there's a whole thread on it below).

Hope this helps. Take care & good luck. Judy
It's never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Helpful Tips

Relief for urticaria
I had suffered from hives for six years until one doctor (an allergist) finally discovered that it was chronic urticaria. I am allergic to ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center